Boreham, Joseph brewery
The brewery was established in 1809 by Joseph Boreham.
In 1823 Pigot's Directory Joseph Boreham is listed as a brewer, maltster & miller.
In 1830 Pigot's Directory Joseph Boreham is listed as a brewer, maltster & spirit dealer.
In 1839 and 1840 Pigot's Directories Joseph Boreham is listed as a brewer.
The 1855 White's Directory lists Joseph Boreham as a brewer, maltster, bank agent and spirit merchant (Burton End)
In 1865 William W. Boreham is listed as a brewer, maltster, spirit merchant, farmer & landlowner
W. W. Boreham is listed in the 1874 White's Suffolk Trades Directory.
The brewery was taken over by William Ward by the 1880.
When the brewery was auction off in 1893 it owned 36 tied pubs, including: The Queens Head, Bell, Weavers Arms, Price of Wales, Swan, The Rose Tavern, Australian Arms, Greyhound, Star and the Three Goats. Also owned were Kings Head, Castle Hedingham; Axe & Compasses, Saffron Walden; White Hart, Filbourn; and White Swan, Swaffham Bulbeck.
Charles Frederick Christmas acquired the brewery from William Ward & Son in 1894.
In 1912 & 1916 Kelly's Directories F.C.Christmas & Co are listed as brewers.
F C Christmas died in the First World War (1918) and F.C. Christmas & Co was subsequently acquired by Greene King in 1918 together with 49 pubs. Brewing ceased in 1924. The 49 pubs were purchased by Greene King for £55,000.
The brewery site on Camps Road is now used as a doctor's surgery.
(Some historic information obtained from the Journal of the Haverhill and District Local History Group.)