grid reference TM 162 446Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 30/04/2019
Ipswich King's Arms Inn
also traded as as: Eight Bellshistorical closure era: mid 20th century
closed August 21st, 1966
last owner Tolly Cobbold
This pub seems once to have been a fair bit bigger, possibly incorporating much of what's now the Nat West bank (or possibly an upstairs part of it). It has been described as having three bars - one reserved for men only - reputedly the last one of that type in Ipswich.
Rebuilt as Kings Arms (circa 1872) but dates back much further and is possibly on the site of an earlier pub called the Three Connies.
It's also listed as 25 or 28 Cornhill - before post office building was erected (circa 1881).
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(census information from Dudley Diaper)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)