grid reference TM 464 564Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
listed building grade II
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 18/09/2017
Aldeburgh East Suffolk Hotel
also traded as as: New Inn, Commercial Innhistorical closure era: late 20th century
opened 1811 (May)
closed April 18th, 1977
152 High St
The building dates from the early 19th century, but was much altered in the 20th.
The 1904 Woodbridge licensing records show that the East Suffolk's license was issued in 1843. However, the hotel dates back a good while before this; it's recorded that Charles II stayed here in 1668.
The license was surrendered in April 1977, when it was transferred to a private members' club, the Festival Club, which may have been in the same building.
The hotel is shown (but not named) on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. larger map
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper & book information from Bob Mitchell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.