grid reference TM 424 900Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA North-East Suffolk branch.last updated 06/11/2017
Beccles Rose & Crownhistorical closure era: Victorian / Edwardian
closed before 1908
The 1871 census omits this property, although a schedule number is allocated to it. (Perhaps it was unoccupied on the night of the census?)
The 1881 and 1891 censuses list three adjacent pubs in the order Fleece, Crown, Rose & Crown (1881) and Rose & Crown, Crown, Fleece (1891). [ie, the Crown in the centre. This has been used to locate the pub on the map.]
Planning permission was granted on March 15th 1908 for "drainage of late Rose & Crown building in Blyburgate", which tells us it was closed before that date.
Our photograph shows what may have been the Rose & Crown, based on the census data.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Some information from records transcribed by Foxearth & District Local History Society.