CAMRA North-East Suffolk branch.last updated 08/11/2018
Beccles Sunhistorical closure era: Victorian / Edwardian
The Sun evidently closed not too long before 1909, as the rating records for that year list the building as "Sun inn (late)". It's probably been demolished as what's now number 31 is a fairly modern building (unless the street numbering scheme has changed).
It opened in 1875, when it was built at the bottom of the Chequers' yard and that pub's license was transferred to it.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Some information from records transcribed by Foxearth & District Local History Society.
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
The chequerboard as a pub sign may have its origins from Roman taverns when a board game like draughts was often advertised and played. It may also be an ancient sign to indicate the landlord was a money-lender or could offer secure storage for a travellers valuables.