grid reference TM 099 382Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 18/10/2017
Bentley Tankardhistorical closure era: mid 20th century
closed July 26th, 1928
The Tankard was virtually on the border with Capel St Mary, on the junction of the road to Ipswich with the Bentley Road.
It existed as early as 1838 and closed in 1928, when its license was transferred to the newly-built Rushmere St Andrew Golf.
The pub is shown on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. larger map
The pub was demolished soon after closure and was replaced by a garage that was itself subsequently demolished in the 1990s, when the current junction and underpass were built.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.