grid reference TL 852 643Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.last updated 22/05/2019
Bury St Edmunds Bell
also traded as as: One Bellhistorical closure era: Victorian / Edwardian
closed 1881 or earlier
The Bell was an old-fashioned Family & Commercial inn and General Posting Establishment which also achieved considerable fame as a coaching inn. Coaches such as the "Phenomena" (Norwich to London in 14 hours), "Old Bury" (London) and "Surprise New Coach" made the Bell their terminus. The "Old Bury" was owned by Bell landlord, George Wicks, for many years until 1846, when the railway provided too much competition.
The inn was listed in 1823 at the Beast Market, 1839 at the Meat Market, in 1844 at 3 Corn Market, in 1851 as the One Bell at 1 Corn Hill, in 1851 and 1861 at 3 Corn Hill and in 1874 at 3 Corn Market.
The Bell was demolished about 1880. Replaced by the Post Office. Bell arcade remains as a relic of a right-of-passage through the inn yard.Old Inns of Suffolk, Leonard P Thompson
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)