grid reference TL 853 643Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.last updated 06/10/2018
Bury St Edmunds Duke of Edinburgh
also traded as as: White Horsehistorical closure era: Victorian / Edwardian
It seems that the inn probably occupied the left-hand side of the building in our photograph. A 1906 photograph in the Spanton Jarman collection shows Mr Bullen's shop (number 20) to the right. There's no inn signage so it may have already been closed by that year, despite the quoted closure date of 1912.
It was called the White Horse before 1875.
In the late 19th century this was a popular venue for troops of Suffolk militia and free fights were frequent. These, however, inevitably ended as soon as they began, for at that time a local Police station was located nearby in Moyses Hall.Old Inns of Suffolk, Leonard P Thompson
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)