grid reference TM 144 738Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA Mid-Anglia branch.last updated 13/09/2017
Eye Black Swanhistorical closure era: mid 20th century
closed 1962 about
The closure date for the Black Swan is not known, but the pub was listed in the 1935-1953 Eye licensing records and didn't appear in the 1962-67 records, so must have closed in the interim. It has since been demolished.
Barry Bailey tells us that he drank in the pub as a sixteen/ seventeen year old so it was still open in 1962/63.
It reportedly stood "next to the Queen's Head". The 1886 OS map shows an unidentified pub almost directly opposite it; we're assuming this was the Black Swan for now. This is shown on the following old OS map from the 1890s. larger map
The pub is also listed at Back Street in 1830.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.