grid reference TM 142 737Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
listed building grade II
CAMRA Mid-Anglia branch.
last updated 24/09/2019
Eye Crownhistorical closure era: mid 20th century
closed November 28th, 1942
31 Magdalen St
The pub building is thought to date from the 18th century.
The Crown closed in 1942 "for the duration [of the war]". It appears not to have reopened afterwards; in 1946 the license was transferred to the Halesworth Triple Plea, which until then only had a beerhouse license.
The pub is shown (though not named) on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. larger map
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Closure details from Eye licensing records.
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.