grid reference TM 162 426Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 18/09/2017
Ipswich Lifeboat Inn
also traded as as: Life Boathistorical closure era: mid 20th century
closed September 5th, 1965
last owner Tolly Cobbold
381-383 Wherstead Rd
The Lifeboat used to have a large stuffed sturgeon on display by the bar, which was allegedly caught in the river Orwell. It has now been converted into offices.
The pub is also listed at Halifax (1839-1888) and Halifax Row (in 1844).
It's shown (but not named) on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. larger map
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(census information from Dudley Diaper)
(old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.