grid reference TM 171 444Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 03/01/2017
Ipswich Little Crown and Anchorhistorical closure era: mid 20th century
closed January 10th, 1920
last owner cobbold
11 Curve St
The Little Crown & Anchor is also listed at 1-3 Gibson Street, but the Curve Street address is what's shown in the 1909 Ipswich Rates book, so seems definitive.
Curve Street is the old name for the part of Rope Walk that runs east from what remains of Regent Street and curves round onto St Helen's St. Gibson Streeet ran south from Curve Street to the footpath which runs from the old Suffolk College site through to Back Hamlet.
The pub's closure date is recorded in the Borough Police licensed premises register 1903-1923.
On the 1871 census Samuel Gladwell (born 1837) was running the Little Crown & Anchor at 1/3 Lower Gibson Street, unfortunately he died the next year. (info from Mandy MacDonald)
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)