grid reference TL 678 858Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.last updated 05/01/2017
Lakenheath Green Dragon
also traded as as: Slaunch Househistorical closure era: mid 20th century
closed 1960 circa
Located at TL676857 - situated by the river and close to an area marked on the OS Map as Botany Bay. The building is demolished and today very little evidence remains. Reckoned to have been open till 1955-60.
Had a drink there as young boy being taken out for a ginger beer around early 50's. Possibly a Stewart & Patterson house.
(Details supplied by Chris Curtis)
The pub can be seen here on the 1900 OS map
In 1861 it's listed at Stanch and in 1874 it's listed at Fen?
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
The green dragon may be a reference to the Earl of Pembroke and appears on their coat of arms. William de la Pole, 1st Duke of Suffolk was an important medieval English soldier and commander in the Hundred Years' War and later Lord Chamberlain of England. He was created Earl of Pembroke in 1447 and Duke of Suffolk in 1448.