grid reference TL 870 421Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.last updated 16/09/2017
Sudbury Rifleman's Arms
also traded as as: Rifle Arms, Riflemanhistorical closure era: date unknown
The pub was known as the Rifle Arms Inn in 1893.
On Saturday there was much excitement in Sudbury by the fact that a strange Police Inspector and two strange constables, all in uniform were pursuing in hot haste up North street two soldiers whom they captured near the Rifle Arms Inn. The men, Private Nicholls and Cook of the Suffolk Regiment were handcuffed and taken to the police station where they were charged with attempting burglary at the Bull in Colchester. The police walked all the way from Colchester to the Five Bells at Cornard where they hired a horse and trap. The prisoners we understand will also be charged with desertion departed by the 10.17 train for Colchester.Bury & Norwich Post, May 2nd 1893**
The 1891 census lists the Red Cow (now Bay Horse) at 28, 29, 30 Melford Road, the Plough at 32, 33, 34 Melford Road and the Rifle Arms (this pub) at 77 Melford Road. The street has been renumbered after 1916 with the new odd numbers of the west side, placing the pub somewhere near the present odd 140s or 150s.
The pub is shown on the OS town plan of 1884.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** report reproduced with kind permission from Foxearth & District Local History Society)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)