grid reference TL 753 583Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
listed building grade II
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 24/10/2018
also traded as as: Wickham Queen, Queen's Headhistorical closure era: mid 20th century
closed between 1958 and 1977
The building appears in the Listed Buildings Register as "Byford House, Barber's Lane, but now known as Queen's House". The building dates from the 16th or 17th century and it was re-fronted in the early 19th century.
Sadly it's virtually impossible to photograph without trespassing, so our photo is not very good.
The pub is shown as "Queen" or "Queen Inn" on the OS maps from 1885 to 1958. By the 1977 sheet it's marked as "Queen's Cottage" so evidently closed between 1958 and 1977.
It's shown on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. larger map
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.