grid reference TM 461 568Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 07/12/2016
Aldeburgh Albert Inn
also traded as as: Albert Refreshment Roomshistorical closure era: late 20th century
Victoria Road was previously called Station Road.
Owned by Adnams & Company & next to the site of the old Albert Brewery, now a garage. The houses to the right were the homes of brewery workers. It was also known as "The Fresh". At present (1969) Mr John Winter is the licensee having taken over from his uncle, Mr Meerut Winter, on 22nd September, 1969."Inns of the Suffolk Coast" by Leonard P Thompson, 1969**
The "Fresh" reference probably looks back to an earlier name, the Albert Refreshment Rooms. According to the 1904 Woodbridge licensing records (when it only had a six-day license), the Albert Refreshment Rooms' original beerhouse license was issued in 1870. It got a full license on Februay 22nd 1960. (Still known as the Albert Refreshment rooms at that time).
The Albert Brewery is probably associated with this pub.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic book information from Bob Mitchell)