grid reference TM 387 649Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
Kelsale is part of the Kelsale cum Carlton parish
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 08/01/2017
Kelsale Six Bellshistorical closure era: Victorian / Edwardian
closed 1850 circa
The Six Bells has been demolished.
We are told by Alistair McCartney, the current property owner, that the pub was situated roughly where their garage is now standing. The old cellar steps are still there although the cellar was, sadly, filled in by the workmen who converted the adjacent house from the village shop (as shown in the some of the historic postcards) to its current private residential state.
Alistair McCartney also tells us that he has documents going back into the 1700s showing the house as a dwelling, and also tells us that the pub licence moved across the road to what was the Eight Bells public house (now also closed) around 160 or more years ago the name change indicating that by then there were two more bells in the nearby church tower than there had been originally - we believe the two extra bells we hung in the church in about 1831 (according to the 1874 White's Directory).
Many thanks to Alistair McCartney for some of these details.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)