grid reference TM 138 602Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 06/09/2018
Stonham Aspal Royal Oakhistorical closure era: mid 20th century
closed April 4th, 1958
last owner Lacon's
Last former owner of the pub 1955 to 1958 was Frederick Ling (not King). We bought the house from his son. It appeared the pub also stocked drinks from The Colchester Brewery, we found broken old bottles on the grounds with this on. The pub was called The Old Royal Oak circa 1914.from Karen Bright
The pub was closed in 1958 and the license was transferred to the Great Yarmouth Elephant & Castle.
It's shown on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. larger map
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
(** historical details supplied by Neil Langridge)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.