grid reference TM 048 585Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 25/01/2019
Stowmarket King's Headhistorical closure era: mid 20th century
opened 1660 circa
closed March 16th, 1963
last owner Tollemache
14 Ipswich St
The King's Head may have ceased trading at various times in its history and had a great number of owners.
At one time it was a family & commercial hotel & posting house.
The 1823 Pigot's Directory lists Royal Mail coaches leaving the inn daily at 11am for Cambridge. Coaches also left the inn daily at 4.15pm (apart from Sundays) for Ipswich.
The 1840 Pigot's Directory lists the King's Head Inn separately as an excise office.
Tollemache brewery decided to delicense and sell it in 1963 after the then tenant, JW Gray, died.
In the early 20th century a boxing booth was within the hotel complex.
The building was demolished in 1960s as part of a large scale urban redevelopment.
It's shown on this OS town plan of 1885.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Closure date from the Stow licensing records.
(detailed information from Neil Langridge - and also Brian Southgate - see their book "Stowmarket, Combs and Stowupland Pubs" published by Polstead Press in 2009)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)