CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 16/05/2018
Ipswich Chaise & Pairhistorical closure era: Victorian / Edwardian
Samuel Wilson of the Chaise and Pair Inn, Ipswich, wishes to inform all dealers in cattle, butchers, and jobbers, that he intends to give up , free of expense, the meadow adjoining his house, for the exhibition of stock of all description, on the 4th and 5th days of May: and he will continue to do so every Saturday, with view of giving opportunities for a larger and better cattle market than now exists.Ipswich Journal, May 1835**
The 1841 census entry is based on the surname of landlady and location in the St Margaret's parish part of Woodbridge Road. Parke's Corner is on the north side of Woodbridge Road at the western end, the pub's is in the third property listed, and is possibly an earlier name for the Mulberry Tree? The actual census description starts as 'The whole of the north side of Woodbridge Road and Albion Hill commencing with the five cottages adjoining the corner commonly called Parkes Corner...' Elizabeth Wilson, Publican, is at the third property.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)