grid reference TM 028 419Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
listed building grade II
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 09/10/2019
also traded as as: Barley Mowhistorical closure era: late 20th century
63 Benton St
The Falcon was called the Barley Mow until about 1844. Reputedly the name changed at about the time that the pub was purchased by Falcon Brewery (of Ipswich), who liked to call most of their pubs by that name. Not to be confused with Barley Mow listed in Bridge St (later the Anchor).
The building is now residential.
It's shown (though not named) on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. larger map
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(Historic details supplied by Bob Mitchell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.