grid reference TM 425 899Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA North-East Suffolk branch.last updated 06/11/2017
Beccles Black Boy
also traded as as: Black Boyshistorical closure era: late 20th century
opened 1671 or earlier
last owner Steward & Patteson (Watneys)
Since closure it has been demolished for new housing. It appears in records as far back as 1671.
The main picture was shared with us by David Wallace who was pictured in the Beccles and Bungay Journal in April 1971 when he was repainting the exterior of the pub. Described in the paper as "a hazardous business because the public house stands flush with a sharp bend on the busy Lowestoft-Beccles main road." Many thanks to David for sharing this image with us.
It can be seen here on this OS town plan of 1884.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Some information from records transcribed by Foxearth & District Local History Society.
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)