grid reference TL 677 448Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.last updated 11/05/2019
Haverhill Australian Armshistorical closure era: late 20th century
last owner Greene King
48 Hamlet Rd, CB9 8QQ
A last surviving pub in town that was formerly owned by the Christmas brewery. Where the unusual name came from is unknown; as of 2018 there is only a single pub of this name in existence, in Ramsgate.
The pub was found closed and boarded-up when visited in May 2010 and believed to have been closed for some time before that (though it was certainly open in June 2007). In May 2011, planning permission was granted for its conversion into flats.
Also listed at 28 Hamlet Rd.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Pub name comes from an Australian workforce that was used to construct the nearby Sturmer Arches railway viaduct - a three-arch structure 25 feet high that was built about 1890 to link Colne Valley and GER lines - so enabling traffic from Sudbury to Cambridge.