grid reference TM 161 444Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 09/12/2018
Ipswich Friars Headhistorical closure era: late 20th century
closed January 2nd, 1972
last owner Tolly Cobbold
33 Friars Rd
Friars Road ran roughly south-south-east from where the current Willis building is, to the east end of Wolsey St. The pub stood on the eastern junction of Friars Road and Friars Street where the two met Princes Street.
Also listed (1844) as Friar's St.
A Victorian brewery was located here.
The pub is shown (though not named) on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. larger map
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Cosure date from Ipswich licensing records.
(census information from Dudley Diaper)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.