grid reference TM 194 417Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 01/01/2017
Ipswich Pitt's Bar
also traded as as: Airport Bar, Zero 8, Horizon Flying Schoolhistorical closure era: late 20th century
Ipswich Airport Nacton Rd
The Pitt's bar was located inside the terminal building, which was demolished in 2006.
The Ipswich Aerodrome was opened by Edward, Prince of Wales in June 1930. Originally it was used by the Suffolk Aero Club who organised two air shows here in 1935 and 1938, the second attracting about 30,000 people. The terminal building (designed by Hening and Chitty) was also added by 1938 and opened by Captain H. Balfour MC MP (Under Secretary of the Air). After requisition by Air Ministry during WW2 it was initially used to disperse Blenheims from Wattisham for some time and from August 1941 saw some operational activity by 226 squadron. From March 1943 until June 1945 it was operational as 679 squadron with Airspeed Oxford and Miles Martinet aircraft used for target towing (as coastal battery training - anti-aircraft and searchlight co-ordination). In spring 1944 some Hurricanes and Spitfires of Bomber Defence training were also based at the airfield. After 1945 pleasure flying resumed at the airfield until 1993 when it was closed by Ipswich Borough Council for housing redevelopment. A highly public campaign to save the airfield continued for over a decade including the listing of terminal building to Grade 2 in 1996, but the determination of the local council eventually prevailed.
(some details from Suffolk Airfields in World War Two by Graham Smith)
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(*** Last Orders is a free local newsletter - published by Suffolk CAMRA members since 1978)