grid reference TM 151 445Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 30/08/2018
Ipswich Ipswich Arms (Muckman's, Bridge house)historical closure era: late 20th century
145 London Rd
Originally a small beerhouse on what was then the edge of town, dating back to 1837 or earlier. The small beerhouse was later replaced by the the larger building remembered from more recent times.
Listed at 119 London Road in 1869.
It may also be listed as being in Handford Rd.
Some older local residents remember it bing renamed Bridge House during World War two to help thwart enemy invaders.
Demolished, together with the Royal William, for a new supermarket. The building had been allowed to deteriorate for some time prior to final closure, with several broken windows left unrepaired at the time.
The pub is shown (though not named) on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. larger map
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(*** Last Orders is a free local newsletter - published by Suffolk CAMRA memers since 1978)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.