grid reference TM 386 649Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
listed building grade II
Kelsale is part of the Kelsale cum Carlton parish
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 02/11/2017
Kelsale Eight Bellshistorical closure era: late 20th century
opened about 1850
Now residential and called Bell House.
Most of the building is early-mid 19th century, though parts date from the 16th. We are told by Alistair McCartney, a local resident, that the licence may have been granted when the Six Bells (opposite) closed as a pub - hence the similar name - which may also indicate that the peal of bells in the nearby church (of St.Mary & St.Peter) had also been upgraded from the original set? According to White's Directory (in 1874) the two extra bells were added in about 1831.
In 1855 the landlord is also listed as a brewer.
A Charles Abbott is also listed as landlord of the Ship in Blaxhall in 1879, close to where the Charles Abbott here is shown as having been born?
The pub is shown on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. larger map
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(thanks to John Martin for the 1881 census corrections)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.