grid reference TM 547 928Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA North-East Suffolk branch.last updated 21/12/2016
Lowestoft Duke of Wellington
also traded as as: Bar FM, Wellingtonhistorical closure era: 21st century
11 Commercial Rd
This pub has been closed and boarded up since about 2007. When visited in 2016, the building was in a very poor state.
It was listed as the Wellington in the 1910 Lowestoft Rate book, when the pub was owned by the Crown Brewery. It traded for a short time more recently as Bar FM.
It was listed as an eating house in 1861.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
In 1830 the Duke of Wellington was Prime Minister when the the Beer Act was introduced to help create Beer Houses - a new lower tier of premises permitted to sell alcohol. Under the 1830 Act any householder who paid rates could apply, with a one-off payment of two guineas, to sell beer or cider in their home (usually the front parlour) and even brew on the premises. The permission did not extend to the sale of spirits or fortified wines.