grid reference TM 024 491
opened 17th/18th century?
owner Free House
Data from the Food Standards Agency live feed.
Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
- Mon: 1700-2100
- Tue: closed
- Wed-Fri: 1700-2300
- Sat: 1800-2300
- Sun: 1200-2230
- May close early depending on trade.
regular real ales
3 changing beers [H]
listed building grade II
Naughton is part of the Nedging with Naughton parish
Local licensing authority for Naughton is Babergh
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 28/10/2019
previously known as: Wheeler's Inn, Wheel inn
Real Ale is available here
Whatfield Rd, IP7 7BS
Please mind your head upon entering this delightful, friendly but small rural, thatched pub with very low beams in the main bar. In fact the traditionally tiled floor is now much lower (by about 30cm) than it once was and is now below ground-level.
The more spacious public bar can be noisier and also leads to a games room with a pool table and darts. There is always an interesting selection of ales available and a garden to the rear of the pub offers a nice place to relax on sunny days. The nearest bus stop is on the main road between Bildeston and Offton.
It has been suggested that this pub dates back to the 12th century, however the Listed Buildings Register says it probably dates from the 17th or 18th century.
Beer served through handpulls
Separate public bar
Traditional pub games available
Pub is accessible to disabled customers
Quiet pub - no electronic games, piped music or jukebox
Beer garden or other outside drinking area
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(*** Last Orders is a free local newsletter - published by Suffolk CAMRA memers since 1978)
Historic picture (1910) in gallery shows a tree stump which has now disappeared as as the large wooden shed. To left end of the building a small, pitched roofed lean-to shed can be seen which was still there in 1975 but has been demolished since - picture supplied by Nancy Gibbon (landlady)