grid reference TM 505 763Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
listed building grade II
CAMRA North-East Suffolk branch.
last updated 16/07/2019
Southwold King's Headhistorical closure era: 21st century
opened 1743 (rebuilt 1864)
closed August 2013
23 High St, IP18 6AD
This large open plan lounge diner had a small public bar in one area.
It was first licensed in 1743.
The pub closed mid-August 2013 after several months under temporary management. The future is currently under review but it's been reported that it may become a police station, though other reports suggest an Italian restaurant. As of mid-August 2015, the building has been de-signed but is still empty (no change in July 2017).
The pub is shown (though not named) on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. larger map
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic book information from Bob Mitchell)
(**** Reference to pub seen in Southwold Diary of James Maggs (1818-1876) published by Suffolk Records Society in 2007)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.