Farnham has been a dry parish since the George & Dragon closed in 1996. This small village is clustered around a bend in the A12 and was recorded in Domesday as "Ferneham". Sand is dug here in large quantities. To the west, the River Alde flows past the parish and free ranging Red Poll cows (now a rare breed) may still be seen on the marshes of the upper Alde. The church is Norman, with a flint tower.
A Roman bathhouse with hypocaust was excavated in 1971 in the south of the parish, near Buxhall. There may have been a Roman tile kiln nearby as well.
The Snape Goods line joined the East Suffolk Line in Farnham. It opened in 1859 and was closed in 1960.
It's believed that the Foxham in Robert Louis Stevenson's The Black Arrow was based on Farnham.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.