Felixstowe is Suffolk's most southerly parish, containing the county's most southerly pub (The Dolphin). Daniel De Foe was of the opinion that Felixstowe was far enough south that it should be considered to be in Essex.
This town is mainly a modern residential settlement, which contains an Edwardian coastal holiday resort alongside the largest container port in the country. The parish of Walton (merged in 1895) retains a Victorian high street to the west of the main settlement whilst Felixstowe Ferry is a small separate hamlet about 2km to the north-east, on the Deben estuary. The pier (redeveloped in 2017) dates from 1904 whilst the promenade was built in 1902.
A notable Edwardian feature was "Felixstowe Spa" located at the foot of Hamilton cliffs, with a natural spring and pump room. Walton Castle once stood in Felixstowe parish on high cliffs about a mile south of the early village. Its western foundations were about 187 yards in length but mostly washed away by about 1740. The same site is believed to have also been used by the Romans. …
Street-by-street pub list
The 1844 White's Directory lists Mary Ann Mayhew as keeper of a hotel.
The 1855 White's Directory lists Edward Gee as keeper of a posting hotel.
The 1891-92 White's Directory lists E Cuckow & son as a wine, spirit, ale & porter mechant (Grosvenor house).
The 1900 Kelly's Directory lists Wm. Scarfe Davey as an ale & porter merchant (Felix Road).
The 1904 Woodbridge licensing record shows two off-sales only beerhouses: York House (Chas Fredk Fisk) and Suffolk House (Wm Hy Thake(?))
The 1922 Kelly's Directory lists Mrs Elizabeth Tyrell as a beer retailer.…
Some details from "Suffolk Airfields in WW2" by Graham Smith.