Framlingham is an ancient market town, dominated by a massive castle. Framlingham was recorded in Domesday as "Framalingaham" or "Framincham". The castle was once a stronghold of the Bigod family but today the substantial remaining walls, ditch and nearby mere make for a pleasant stroll. In 1215 Roger Bigod was one of the rebels who still stood against King John after the sealing of Magna Carta. The King took umbrage and a year later besieged the castle which was defended by 26 knights, 20 men-at-arms, 7 crossbowmen, a chaplain and 3 others. After two days Roger surrendered and then sat it out until the place was restored to his family after the King's death.
Other notable features of the town include the college, some attractive almshouses and the market square. Opposite the Railway pub is a private garden containing the tomb of an early 18th century non-conformist preacher, Thomas Mills, after whom the local school is named. His servant William Mayhew was later buried beside him. The Great Park is a Mediaeval deer park, which in the 1570s was estimated to cover 500-650 acres…
According to John F Bridges' 2007 book "The Commercial Life of a Suffolk Town", Framlingham had 16 inns in 1750. By 1900 it was apparently down to nine: the Castle, Crown & Anchor, Crown, Farriers Arms, Hare & Hounds, Queen's Head, Railway, Station and White Horse.
A reference appears in the Ipswich Journal, July 19th 1735***, to the bankruptcy of Nicholas Newson of Framlingham, Vintner and Innholder? but we don't yet know which inn. A year later a Nicholas Newson of Framlingham was apprenticed to a local farmer called John Barnes.…
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.