Please tell us if you know of any pubs here ready to reopen when outdoors service is permitted.
Barking is a scattered settlement with a 50 acre common at the Tye. Most of the parish's housing is concentrated along the main road at the tye.
The village was a precursor to Needham Market. Several local woods are very ancient with rich ground flora. Barking was recorded in Domesday as "Berchingas" or "Berkinges" and appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Berkings" (or possibly "Berkinga").
Sadly the village sign has been allowed to decay and now looks very tatty.
A smock mill used to stand close to the Ipswich Road but was demolished about 1920.
Historically the Lion was in Barking, but boundary changes mean it's now in Needham Market (even now, it's often referred to as the Barking Lion).
Darmsden was incorporated into Barking parish for many centuries. The two were split on December 20th 2012.
John Grimwood, Alehouse-keeper of Barking was convicted of knowingly suffering Gaming in his House by Journey-men and Servants and was fined £2.Ipswich Journal, September 22nd 1764***
The 1855 White's Directory lists Mark Woollard as a beer house keeper (also listed as a shopkeeper).
The 1865 Kelly's Directory lists Mrs Sarah Woollard as a beer retailer (also listed as a shopkeeper).
The 1869 Kelly's Directory lists Mrs Sarah Woollard as a beer retailer (also listed as a shopkeeper).
(The above could refer to Needham Market)
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.