In the light of the government announcement of March 20th, all pubs are now closed until further notice.
However, a number of pubs are providing takeaway food and/or drinks during the lockdown. Some offer deliveries, while others are selling from the premises. This page lists details of those we know about.
If you can give any of our pubs some support through these difficult times by buying some takeaway food or drink, please do so. Our pubs need as much support as possible if they're going to still be there for us when the crisis is over.
You can now buy beer from many pubs and breweries via CAMRA's new Brew2You app. Click on the logo to download the app.
Freckenham is a compact village on the edge of the fens, with a small Norman castle. It was recorded in Domesday as "Frakenaham" and appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Frecknham".
At one time, before the fens were drained, the parish had a considerable fishing industry and villagers even paid their tithe in Herrings. This parish was also once a "peculiar" and unique in Suffolk as being under the jurisdiction of the Bishop of Rochester (from 1094 to 1836) rather than part of the diocese of the Bishop of Norwich.
In 1930, an Anglo-Saxon hut was unearthed near the road to West Row, along with other Anglo-Saxon and Romano-British artefacts. It's believed this may represent part of a larger settlement.
A number of coin hoards have been found around Freckenham; deep ploughing on Dairy Farm disclosed a hoard of 595 bronze Roman coins, believed to date from the late 3rd century. Another hoard, this time of 90 Icenian gold coins, was found in 1885 near Mortimer's Lane. Yet another hoard of 211 early 5th century coins has also been found.
The Red Lodge pub was once located in this parish until the new parish of Red Lodge was formed from parts of Freckenham and Worlington.
The 1844 White's Directory lists a beer house run by Jas. Reeve (shopkeeper).
The 1855 White's Directory lists a beer house run by James Barrett (farmer).
The 1869 Kelly's Directory lists Edward Tolworthy as a beer retailer.
The 1874 White's Directory lists two beer houses run by Edward Tolworthy and Walter Tolworthy.
The 1891-92 White's Directory lists a beer house run by Alfred Tweed.
In 1900 Alfred F Tweed is listed as a beer retailer.
In 1912 Alfred F Tweed is listed as a beer retailer.
In 1922 Richard Houghton is listed as a beer retailer.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.