Fressingfield is a large village, recorded in Domesday as "Fessefelda" and shown on John Speed's 1610 map as "Fresenfeld". Locals still pronounce the village name as "Fresenfeld".
The old village guildhall has been converted into the Fox & Goose.
In the churchyard can be found the tomb of William Sandcroft, a former Archbishop of Canterbury and one of seven bishops imprisoned for revolting against James II; he was later sacked by William III.
One notable Fressingfield resident in the 1960s was electronic music pioneer Tristram Carey, who built an electronic music studio at his home at Wood Farm, on the Metfield Road. He composed much music for radio, television and films, including such well-known TV series as Doctor Who* and films such as The Lady Killers.
* Not the famous theme tune though; that was composed by Ron Grainer.
The 1841 Census lists Martha Chandler (Beerhouse Keeper, pub not named, Head/69/born Suffolk) [Listed next to farmer Lot Watson, so this may be the Jolly Farmer].
The 1844 White's Directory lists 3 beer houses run by Martha Chandler, James Etheridge (also listed as a builder) and Lot Watson the Jolly Farmers?
The 1855 White's Directory lists 2 beer houses run by Lewis Etheridge and Lot Watson the Jolly Farmers?
The 1861 census lists an unnamed beer house as James Rush/51y/innkeeper/Syleham [the Bunbury Arms?]
The 1865 Kelly's Directory lists Edward Clutten and Lot Watson the Jolly Farmers? as beer…