Great Bradley

app

Introduction

Great Bradley has been a dry parish since the Fox closed in 1986. Bradley is derived from 'Broad Ley', Anglo Saxon for 'broad wood or clearing' and suggests that there was once much more woodland in the area. There is also evidence that the area has been lived in since the middle Stone Age about 5 000 years ago. Two Bronze Ages sites have also been found, with one being a single ring ditch and the other located near Bradley Park Wood.The village appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Bradley mag".

A tower mill, built in 1839 and demolished in 1949, stood on The Street, north of Water Lane.

Gallery

thumbnail thumbnailthumbnailthumbnail thumbnail

History

The 1844 White's Directory lists William Packman as a beer house keeper.

The 1851 census lists Edward Crick as a cooper at Beer Shop, Long Acre Green. (Head/Married/58/born Kirtlinge, Cambridgeshire).

The 1855 White's Directory lists Edward Crick (also listed as a cooper) and Thomas Briggs as beer house keepers.

The 1861 census lists Edward Crick as a cooper at Beer Shop, Long East Green. (Head/Married/67/born Kirtling, Cambridgeshire).

The 1865 Kelly's Directory lists Richard Paxman and Charles Smith (also listed as a shopkeeper) as beer retailers.…

Acknowledgements

Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.

X