Great Cornard is essentially a sprawling housing estate near to Sudbury. The village saw a near trebling in population during the 1960s when it was used for London overspill.
Cornard was recorded in Domesday as "Cornierda". It appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Cornerd mag".
The Maldon Grey is often listed as being in Sudbury, but is (just) inside the Great Cornard boundary.
Abbas hall is an early aisled building dating from about 1250. Legend has it that a secret tunnel ran from the Highbury Barn pub to a convent at Abbas Hall.
Cornard wood, once painted by Gainsborough, is sadly no more.
In the 1844 White's Directory a beer house is listed, run by John Siggers.
The 1851 census lists John Siggers, Innkeeper, School House, Bures Road, Head/Married/47/born Bures. [the Brook?]
In 1865, James Cooper Bugg is listed as a beer retailer.
In 1891-92, White's Directory lists Hy. Oliver as a brewer (at Oliver Bros).
The 1911 census lists Henry Stanton Oliver, Brewer & Mineral Water Manufacturer, Hillside, Head/Married/61/born Bury St Edmunds.