Although the government has now allowed pubs to reopen, many are still unable to do so safely, while most if not all are only able to accommodate limited numbers of customers. Many of them are still reliant on providing takeaway food and/or drinks. Some offer deliveries, while others are selling from the premises. This page lists details of those we know about.
If you can give any of our pubs some support through these difficult times by buying some takeaway food or drink, please do so. Our pubs need as much support as possible if they're going to still be there for us when the crisis is over.
Grundisburgh is a large village, pleasantly set around a central green with a stream running through it. It was recorded in Domesday as "Grundesbur", "Grundesburg", "Grundesburh" or "Grundesburc". John Speed's 1610 map shows the village as "Grundeſboro".
Basts, just to the east of the church, is a fine Tudor building, rebuilt by Thomas Awall. The father of his wife, Alice, was the master cook to Edward IV and Henry VII.
Post Mill Gardens mark the location of a mill built in 1807, which worked until 1929. After part-demolition in 1930, the remains were made part of a house. Another mill, a miniature smock mill, stood a short distance north-west of the post mill until its demolition in about 1957.
The 1841 Census lists William Barker (Innkeeper, pub not named, Head/30/born Suffolk).
The 1844 White's Directory lists a beer house run by Maria Parker.
The 1851 Census lists John Wood (Brewer & Beer Seller, Ipswich Road, pub not named, Head/Married/54/born Burgh).
The 1861 Census lists William Norman (Innkeeper, pub not named, Head/Married/36/born Bredfield).
The 1871 Census lists Mileson Mallett (Poulterer & Beer Seller, pub not named, Head/Married/40/born Grundisburgh).
The 1874 White's Directory lists two beer houses run by David Crapnell and Milleson Mallett (also listed as a clothes dealer).…
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.