Establishment(s) understood to have reopened (or, at least, reopening before indoors service is permitted).
Please tell us if you know of any pubs ready to reopen when outdoors service is permitted that we don't list here.
The centre of Haughley, particularly the village green, is dominated by attractive old cottages, with more modern housing around it. The village was recorded in Domesday as "Hagala".
The remains of a Norman castle with a moat can be found locally. The motte is now wooded but was once Hageneth castle - a name now used by local morris dancers. Haughley had an important market until the 16th Century when it suffered a serious fire. Mill Fields marks the site of an old post mill, which was destroyed by fire in August 1943.
Captain Oates, best known for his part in Scott's Antarctic expedition, once lived at Walnut Tree Manor at Haughley Green.
Haughley Station was opened in July 1849 and was closed by Beeching in January 1967. It was the western-most station on the Mid-Suffolk Light Railway (Middy) which ran as far as Laxfield. Haughley Junction is at the intersection between the Norwich and Bury railway lines.
Haughley Green is a distinct settlement to the north of the main village on the Bacton Road.
The 1841 Census lists John Denny (Shoemaker, not shown as publican, beerhouse, pub not named, Head/40/born Suffolk) [At the Cock by 1844].
The 1841 Census lists Robt. Hood (Bricklayer, not shown as publican, beerhouse, not named, Head/30/born Suffolk).
The 1844 White's Directory lists a beer house run by John Frost (also listed as a bricklayer). [the Fox]?
The 1851 Census lists Robert Hood (Bricklayer & Beerhouse Keeper, Old Street, Cock Lane, Head/Married/43/born Newton) with Louisa Hood (Beerhouse Keeper, Old Street, Cock Lane, Wife/Married/40/born Haughley).…
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.