Where pubs have been renamed, we usually list only the most recent known name here. Other names can be found in the Pub list tab. (For closed pubs which only traded for a short time under a newer name, we generally list them under the longer-established name) Ancient pubs are defined as those which are believed to have closed before the middle of the 19th century.
Population (2011) of Haverhill: 27 041.
Local licensing authority for Haverhill is West Suffolk.
Up until the early 1960s, Haverhill was a typical small market town, but today it's better known for large modern housing estates built for "London overspill". The town is based around a former Romano-British fort and a later Saxon market. It was recorded in Domesday as "Hauerhella", "Haverhol" or "Haverhella" and appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Hauerill".
The serious town fire in 1665 caused severe damage from which few buildings survive.
From the 16th century, weaving was an important local industry which remained significant until recent times. Weavers Row (on Camps Row) is made up of 19th century weavers' cottages.
Castle Farm marks the probable location of Haverhill Castle, which appears in records of 1373 and 1403, though no physical evidence of its existence remains; it may in fact have just been a fortified manor house. Mill Hill marks the site of a former tower mill built about 1820 which worked until about 1910 and was mostly demolished in 1945. Another mill (demolished in 1942) stood near the present Alde Road.
To the east of town is an impressive brick viaduct called Sturmer Arches. Once it took Colne Valley Railway over the road. Haverhill once had two railway stations. Haverhill South (originally just "Haverhill") on the aforementioned Colne Valley Railway, opened in May 1863 and closed in July 1924. Haverhill North (later just Haverhill) opened in June 1865 and closed in March 1967. This station stood on the Stour Valley Railway, which ran from Shelford to Marks Tey (Part of this line, from Sudbury to Marks Tey, is still in use). Haverhill is often claimed (though in fact incorrectly) to be the largest British town now without a railway station.
Both the Woodlands and Haver Arms are technically over the border in Essex, but as they are essentially within Haverhill's built-up area, we include them here.
Below is an extract from an article on Haverhill pubs from the Journal of the Haverhill and District Local History Group.
"It would be wrong to think that with all these pubs in the town, Haverhill did not have its drink problems. There was certainly a strong temperance movement in the area, and a Temperance Hotel was established (the Borough Offices now stand on the site in Lower Downs Slade). Also, to try and create a 'pub' atmosphere, a Coffee Tavern called the 'Anchor' was provided, Boots now occupies this site."
"There was also a more militant body of the temperance movement in the form of the Blue Ribbon Army. They came to Haverhill to demonstrate against the evils of alcohol in July 1882. However the local publicans and their supporters hired a German Band so as to drown out their speeches. Not to be outdone the 'army' returned a week later determined to put their message across in a more forcible way. As they marched through the town they were pelted with flour bags and in the ensuing mêlée the police were called. The outcome of this was court appearances for several of the citizens of Haverhill charged with a breach of the peace. However, the magistrates decided that the Blue Ribbon Army had come to Haverhill to stir up trouble, and fined the defendants a few shillings and told the 'army' that they would not be welcome in the town again!"
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.