Although the government has now allowed pubs to reopen, many are still unable to do so safely, while most if not all are only able to accommodate limited numbers of customers. Many of them are still reliant on providing takeaway food and/or drinks. Some offer deliveries, while others are selling from the premises. This page lists details of those we know about.
If you can give any of our pubs some support through these difficult times by buying some takeaway food or drink, please do so. Our pubs need as much support as possible if they're going to still be there for us when the crisis is over.
Barrow is a large, pleasant village around two greens and a long main road. The village was recorded in Domesday as "Baro". The ancient Shakers Way - so named because of the violent attacks made by robbers who frequented the route - passes through the village. A stone near the school supposedly marks where one such highwayman met his fate on the gibbet.
The village appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Bareowe".
Barrow Hall was demolished in about 1730. A smock mill stood in Meadow Road until it was demolished in 1926.
A "pleasure fair" used to be held in the village on 1st May.
The 1844 White's Directory lists James Evered as a beer house keeper.
The 1865 Kelly's Directory lists Mrs Sarah Aggis as a beerhouse keeper.
The 1869 Kelly's Directory lists Thomas Lucas and Samuel Palmer as beer retailers.
The 1888 Kelly's Directory lists Mrs Annie Aggis as a beer retailer.
The 1891 census lists Frederick J Simkin as a Veterinary Surgeon & Hotel Keeper, 3 Green West Side (Head/Married/49/born Chevington). (For comparison, the location of the Weeping Willow is described as 21 Green South Side.) (Perhaps the Fox/Prince Albert?)…
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.