Please tell us if you know of any pubs here ready to reopen when outdoors service is permitted.
Hundon is a large, spread-out parish with a number of small centres of population, recorded in Domesday as "Hunedana" or "Huenendana" and appearing on John Speed's 1610 map as "Honedon". The main settlement lies on the valley side above a tributary of the River Stour. There are several isolated greens, including Brockley Green, the site of the Plough, and some well-restored housing from several periods. A hoard of 200 Anglo-Saxon coins were once discovered in the churchyard.
Highpoint prison stands on the site of the former RAF Stradishall which, confusingly, was actually located within the Hundon boundary. The windmill that used to be located near Mill Road is long gone; the only sign of it is a cropmark.
According to A Survey of Suffolk Parish History, 1 victualler and 1 beer brewer were recorded in the parish as long ago as 1600-1649.
The 1844 White's Directory lists Thomas Rogers and Abraham Savage as beer house keepers.
The 1851 census also lists:
Josiah Savage, Farmer, Shopkeeper, Showmaker & Beer Seller, Harkaway Street, Head/Married/38/born Hundon).
Samuel Bunting, Farmer & indoor beer seller, Seatter Goods, North Street, Head/Married/39/born Borough Green, Cambridgeshire.
The 1855 White's Directory lists the following people as beer house keepers:
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.