Barton Mills is a large residential village, which was known as "Little Barton" in Saxon times and recorded in Domesday variously as "Bartona" and "Bertunna". John Speed's 1610 map shows it as "Berton". It may also have been called Barton Parvatt in the 18th century.
Excavations in gravel pits around Warren Hill have unearthed over 1000 tools; mainly Palaeolithic, some Neolithic.
A mill and wharf were once located on the river Lark, with a daily passenger ferry to Norwich. Alexander Fleming was once a resident of the village.
The village's Scarecrow Festival is held every other year and draws in large crowds of visitors. It features in the Guinness Book of Records for the largest number of scarecrows made at one time. A scarecrow even features on the village sign.
The 1844 White's Directory lists Thomas Pryke and John Rose (butcher) as beer house keepers.
The 1855 White's Directory lists William Freeman and John Rose (baker) as beer house keepers.
The 1861 census lists Robert Curson (Beer Seller, Turnpike, pub not named, Head/Married/43y/born Suffolk), John Medows (Publican, Mildenhall Bridge, pub not named, Brother/Married/28y/born Suffolk) and Thomas Alderton (Innkeeper, Turnpike, pub not named, Head/Widower/60y/born Helford, Norfolk)
The 1865 Kelly's Directory lists Robert Levett as a beer retailer.
The 1869 Kelly's Directory lists James Harvey and Willi…
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.