1 ancient pub
1 putative ex pub
Population (2011) of Ixworth: 2365.
Local licensing authority for Ixworth is West Suffolk.
Now by-passed, this large village has always been on an important route, centred at the crossing of several roads. It was an important Roman settlement and also had an Augustinian priory (founded 1170, dissolved 1537). Remains of the priory can be found incorporated into a house confusingly known as Ixworth Abbey. In the 1871 census, brewer Edward Greene (also MP and then aged 55) is listed as living at The Abbey. The High Street still has some fine timber framed houses.
The Ixworth chicken, bred in the village during the 1930s, was for many years Britain's most important meat-producing breed. It was only superseded when factory chicken production took over the industry.
The Woolpack is sometimes historically listed in Ixworth but actually in Pakenham - just over the river at the south end of the High Street.
An early pagan cemetery with Anglo-Saxon burial urns was discovered south-west of the church some time before 1949. In 1868, Anglo-Saxon burials were found in Cross House Meadow. The Peddar's Way was a Roman road which ran 48 miles from Ixworth to Holme next the Sea.
The south end of the High Street and town was sometimes historically listed as Ixworth St Mary. The settlement was recorded in Domesday as "Icsewrda" or "Giswortha". John Speed's 1610 map shows it as "Ikesworthe".
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.