Photo from Kenton

closed premises

1 ancient pub

Ancient pubs are defined as those which are believed to have closed before the middle of the 19th century.

Useful links

Population (2011) of Kenton: 237.

Local licensing authority for Kenton is Mid Suffolk.

Overview | Gallery | Historical info | Map

About Kenton

Mainly comprising arable farmland of the East Anglian plain, Kenton was recorded in Domesday as "Kenetuna". The village has been dry since the Crown closed in 1976.

A tributary of the Deben runs to the east of the village. The church is located in the small village centre with the moated site of Kenton Hall, a 16th century building, half a mile to the south.

Kenton Station was on the Mid-Suffolk line (Middy), which ran from Haughley to Laxfield. The station opened in September 1908 and closed in July 1952. An extension to the line was planned from Kenton through Debenham and Otley, and onward to Westerfield, but only about 2 miles of this was built before it was abandoned. Kenton was one of the largest stations on the line, with two platforms, an engine shed and a number of sidings. The site of the station is now an industrial estate.