Although the government has now allowed pubs to reopen, many are still unable to do so safely, while most if not all are only able to accommodate limited numbers of customers. Many of them are still reliant on providing takeaway food and/or drinks. Some offer deliveries, while others are selling from the premises. This page lists details of those we know about.
If you can give any of our pubs some support through these difficult times by buying some takeaway food or drink, please do so. Our pubs need as much support as possible if they're going to still be there for us when the crisis is over.
Laxfield is an attractive large village which had a mediaeval market. Some beautiful buildings still grace the centre. The church has a magnificent 15th century freestone and flint tower, although its interior received the attention of iconoclast, William Dowsing, a native of the parish in the 17th century. Opposite the church is a 16th century Guildhall which now houses the local museum, which is open at weekends during the summer months. Amongst the exhibits are several artefacts connected with the Mid-Suffolk Light Railway, which had its eastern terminus in the parish. The "Middy" ran from Laxfield via 9 stations to Haughley Junction, where it met the main Ipswich to Norwich line. The last train ran in 1952. Today a Mid-Suffolk Light Railway museum can be found at Brockford (off A140). See www.mslr.org.uk.
Goram's Mill Lane marks the site of Goram's Mill, a four storey smock mill erected in 1842. In 1910 it was converted to use a steam engine and continued in use until 1935. Only a single storey stump remains. Mill Road was also the site of a windmill, a post mill built in 1769 and demolished about 1941.…
The 1844 White's Directory lists three beer houses run by William Chaston (the Swan?), Joseph Lockwood and John Phillimore.
The 1851 Census lists Thomas Lake (Innkeeper, Market Street, pub not named, Head/Married/30/born Westleton).
The 1855 White's Directory lists a beer house run by Ann Chaston (the Swan?)
The 1871 Census lists James Flatman (Farmer, not shown as publican, Farmers Arms, Head/Married/65/born Laxfield) [The name suggests that this may be a pub, but no other evidence has been found].
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.