Beccles is built on a river cliff, overlooking the Waveney valley. This attractive market town dates from the time of the Angles and unusually, is still known by the same name by which it was recorded in Domesday. At the time of Domesday, a fishing port thrived at the river mouth. Today the town is better known for printing and tourism. Admiral Horatio Nelson's father, Edmund, was once the curate at St Michael's church and was married here to Catherine Sucking (a local woman) in 1754. Unusually St Michael's has a detached tower (28 metres high) which contains 10 bells and was built in 1515. The tower has clock-faces on only three sides, because the builders "didn't want to give the time of day to Norfolk".
Beccles Brew Co was founded in a domestic garage in the town in 2019; in 2020 the brewery moved to new, larger premises in Brampton. But this is not the first time the town name has been used by a local brewery - see Beccles Brewing Co and Beccles Brewery for some historic uses of this name.…
Street-by-street pub list
- Bridge StBridge St
- Caxton RdCaxton Rd
According to A Survey of Suffolk Parish History, there were two brewers and one inn holder in Beccles between 1600 and 1649. Between 1650 and 1699 two brewers and one vintner were recorded.
The 1791 Universal British Directory lists William Hindes as a victualler.
The 1844 White's Directory also lists 19 beer houses run by:
Elizabeth Arnold (Ravens meer)
Charles Barker (Ingate Street)
Jeremiah Chapman (Bridge Street)
Benjamin Elvin (Swines Green)
John Garrod (Northgate Street)
George Grey (Ravens meer)
George Groom (Smallgate Street)
John Hatcher (Ravens Meer)…
Some details from "Suffolk Airfields in WW2" by Graham Smith.