Please tell us if you know of any pubs here ready to reopen when outdoors service is permitted.
Leiston is a small town with a largely industrial character, listed in Domesday variously as "Ledestuna" or "Leistuna" and on John Speed's 1610 as "Layſton".
The engineering firm of Richard Garrett & sons employed 600 men in 1862 and had a world-wide reputation for agricultural implements and steam engines. Their old Long Shop is now an award winning museum (open Mon-Sat from April to October.)
A mile north of the town are the extensive ruins of Leiston abbey, home to a Premonstratensian Order prior to its dissolution in 1537. The ruins are open to the public at all times.
A number of windmills used to operate in the coastal area to the north of Leiston. One of these has been removed and re-built at the Museum of East Anglian Life. Another post-Medieval mill is reported to have stood in the town, near Roberts Road. Yet another stood on the Sizewell Road.
Leiston Station was on the Adeburgh-Saxmundham branch. It opened in 1859 and was closed by Beeching in September 1966. The line through Leiston is still occasionally used by freight trains taking nuclear waste from the nearby Sizewell power stations.
The 1844 White's Directory lists George Gildersleeves as a brewer & spirit merchant and also lists 2 beer houses being run by James Baldry (blacksmith) and Joseph Baxter (Sizewell) [the Vulcan Arms].
The 1855 White's Directory lists George Gildersleeves as a brewer & beer house keeper.
The 1865 Kelly's Directory also lists William Baldry as a beer retailer (also listed as a blacksmith). [the Volunteer?]
The 1869 Kelly's Directory also lists James Baldry and Jonathan Witting as beer retailers.
The 1891-92 White's Directory lists 4 beer houses under the following names:
Mrs Mary Baldry …
Some details from "Suffolk Airfields in WW2" by Graham Smith.