Also historically listed as "Lydgate", this small and well spread settlement was recorded in Domesday as "Ligata" or "Litgata". Earthworks relating to a motte and bailey castle (probably built in about 1143) can be found just to the north of the village. John Lygate, the famous medieval poet, was born here in 1375.
The 1844 White's Directory lists Simon Park (also listed as a farmer) as a beer house keeper.
The 1855 White's Directory also lists Wm. Bell (also listed as a shopkeeper) as a beer house keeper.
The 1861 census lists The Bell, Cowlinge Road, but it is not shown as a pub and its resident, George Peacock (Head/Married/49/born Lidgate) is recorded as an agricultural labourer. Also Robert Grinley is listed as a wheelwright & beer seller in Village Street. (Head/Married/40/born Flempton)
In 1865 Roger G Deacon and Frederick Smith are also listed as a beer retailers.…
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.